Sat, Oct 01|
CANCELLED - SHETalks WETalk Race Talks for Women
This workshop has been cancelled. This two-day, in-person workshop defines the Weapons of Whiteness® and how white women can stop wielding them to cause less harm to Black people.
Time & Location
Oct 01, 2022, 10:00 AM – Oct 02, 2022, 5:00 PM
Minneapolis, Minneapolis, MN, USA
About the event
What is SHETalks - WETalk™ A powerful, straight up no chaser moment when women come together for 2 days to talk frankly about race and racism. A transformational weekend workshop where you learn how to lay down your Weapons of Whitenss® to decrease harm in interracial engagements with Black folks and learn how to be an effective and resilient Accomplice for black people. During this two-day WORKSHOP you will take a deep, honest and truthful dive in the the issues of race, racism, whiteness, white terrorism and anti-blackness. This is not a sit and take notes workshop. You will be actively engaged for two days requiring you stretch way outside of your comfort zone and examine your own beliefs, thoughts and behaviors that perpetuate racism.
WHAT WE TALK ABOUT
Weapons of Whiteness® are conscious and unconscious behaviors, actions, and words used against Black folks to lethally deny their existence, stifle their spirit, silence their voice, kill their joy, put them in harm’s way, and paralyze their progress. These acts are insidious, pervasive, and invasive; they can be intentional or unintentional. For white people, wielding these weapons is as easy and unconscious as breathing. And although the use of these weapons can be subtle they are acts of violence. IN THIS WORKSHOP YOU'LL LEARN WHAT THE WEAPONS OF WHITENESS® ARE AND HOW TO STOP WEILDING THEM.
You will be actively engaged for two days requiring you stretch way outside of your comfort zone and examine your own beliefs, thoughts and behaviors that perpetuate racism. YOU'LL ALSO LEARN
- How to break free from the GOOD/BAD BINARY that often keeps you afraid to confront racism.
- Learn what the top 3 Weapons of Whiteness® are and how to disarm them.
- How to begin uprooting your own racism by examining your implicit racial biases.
- How to effectively engage with Black women to avoid racial offense.
- How you might be offending Black and not know it.
- What Black women want and need from white women.
- How to be a strong and effective Accomplice for Black women.
- How NOT to become paralyzed by white guilt, white silence, shame and white privilege.
This workshop will include diverse modes of learning such as presentation, small and large group activities,
video, and experiential exercises.